06 Oct Custom Icon on Google map
You can add your own icons for map placemarks if you’d like to use an image that’s not already available. For example, add an icon that represents your store to mark locations on the map.
Add a custom icon
- Make sure you’re signed in.
- Then open an existing map in My Maps.
- In the legend on the left, click the layer where you want to add an icon. Make sure there’s at least one placemark on the layer.
- In the left panel, hover over the placemark and click the color icon .
- Click More icons.
- In the field below the icons, enter the web address for your icon.
- Click Add.
Icon links, size, and color
Your custom icon must be a live link on the web. You can upload a .jpg, .png, .bmp, or .gif file of any size to an image hosting website, like imgur.com. My Maps will scale the icon to the right size, which is 32×32 pixels.
If you want to use an icon with a transparent background, create your custom icon in RGB color mode. Icons with a transparent background created in Indexed color mode won’t work.
Note: Custom icons are available only for the map you add them to. They aren’t stored in the list of available icons for later use.